Friday, November 27, 2009

Happy Turkey... (i mean Chicken) Day!

Well I need to update my blog, don't I?! Before this past week I didn't feel like I had much to write about... now I have too much. Lets start with last Wednesday. Jonas and I participated in a dodgeball tournament. It was a ton of fun. Each of the teams dressed in a theme, ours was pretty lame... but others were really funny. Jonas dressed up as Bjorn Borg (famous Swedish tennis player) and then a few of us dressed up as tennis players or wore shirts saying "I love Bjorn Borg" The other team were.... the nerds, hulk hogans, Christmas themed, ninjas, 80s aerobic, and the frenchmen. Our team was undefeated! But at the game for the winner we lost. Then we had a catered pasta dinner after :)

Alright, now to talk about the past two days. As many of you know... I booked a ticket home! :) I really need a trip home to see everyone to keep me going here. I'm pretty lonely here... and I only think its because I left SO SO many amazing friends back home! So I fly into Detroit Jan 7th. Buuuut On Jan 9th I am going to be the MOH in one of my best friend Whitney's wedding in Tennessee. So I'll officially be back in town the 10th through the 21st! I have so many things I'm excited about; besides the wedding, there is the Deephers 20th anniversary party and Kellys sister, who is like family, is having her baby in December!! So I think its going to be a great great visit.

So yesterday was Thanksgiving! I know everyone loves Thanksgiving, but isn't it the same every year? Ya usually. That's why I think yesterday was so so special for me. I planned a huge dinner and had 8 people join me. Jonas helped me go shopping for all the food on Monday, and on Tuesday I created a 'Thanksgiving Game Plan' which I was teased about yesterday haha! But I had to so I could pull the dinner off!

Here is the menu:
Whole Chicken (the turkey was really expensive!)
Mashed potatoes
Campbell's green bean casserole
Candied carrots
Reeve family rolls
Jello with whipped cream
Swedish apple pie w/ Häagen-Dazs and vanilla sauce (made by Krister, so so good!)
Chocolate chip, cranberry oatmeal cookies

It all turned out really good! I was especially happy that I was able to make my family's dinner rolls that we have at every holiday. Usually my grandma, aunt or mom makes them, never me! And I've heard many horror stories of them not working out. And the best feeling was when I pulled the rolls out of the oven and it smelled like home. I've never experienced that before. It really was special! I felt just as happy for Krister who had never baked ANYTHING before and made a huge amazing Swedish apple pie. Our family always has jello with our holiday meals for fun. The adults eat the fancy gelatin and us kids always ate the flavored jello with whip cream. So I tried to make jello for my meal... strange enough they call it 'jelly' here in Europe and it wasn't as firm as Jello from home. So it kindof turned into a big joke at dinner. Anyway it was a really great night of food, football (Krister has NFL ticket so we streamed it live) and Beatles RockBand. I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment