Thursday, December 24, 2009

God Jul and Merry Christmas!!

Hi everyone! So I have been in Bastad since Sunday after I took my last exam. Jonas and I had a very interesting bus ride from Jonkoping to his moms. We sat in front of this guy who was making these weird grunts and nasal noses... WHILE he was saying 'satanic' chants... needless to say it was a strange beginning to this holiday break.

Yesterday we put up all the Christmas decorations, which is typical to do the day before (not the day after Thanksgiving like we do!). Jonas and I trimmed the Christmas tree and made a gingerbread house which is on display (pictures to come later).

So today is Christmas in Sweden, or they at least celebrate today. So the festivities started by watching a very old Disney Christmas special that is aired every year. It had all the happy clips from movies like... Cinderella, Robin Hood, Lady and the Tramp, Jungle Book, short Mickey and Donald Duck clips... and the list goes on and on. It was funny because they have dubbed all the cartoons in Swedish, which they usually don't do. We had a Christmas fika while we watched. Next I helped prepare the Julbord (Christmas table, with all the food for dinner) The dinner was in stages and here is what we ate that I can remember (well, what was on the table... I didn't eat everything) Round one: Herring (in many different forms) and crisp bread, red beet salad, cheeses, sausages... Round two: Salad, shrimp, thin salmon (looked raw, didn't eat it) weird eggs... probably more that I'm not messaging and Round three: meatballs, ham, yummy apples, special potatoes, sausage and who knows what else! Anyway, I've been very selective of what I eat these past few weeks in preparation for the wedding and super small jacket I have to fit into! So my dinner really was... shrimp salad, apples, a taste of herring and a piece of bread. VERY EXCITING I KNOW!

Now we are preparing to exchange gifts... so I will have to update more later. But as of now... Anna showed me the gift she got me, a very cute nightie, but she wasn't sure if I'd want to open that in front of everyone else! One tradition is you give a rhythm along with the gift to the person it is for, kind of as a clue.

I will write more as I experience more. I miss home very much and Christmas is no where near the same!! I love you all and hope you're having a very merry time with family and friends. See you in 16 days!!

No comments:

Post a Comment