Thursday, October 22, 2009

Public Transportation



Hej! Soon enough I will be able to write this blog in Swedish... bahahah I wish! But I did have my first OFFICIAL Swedish lesson today... too bad I didn't learn much since its basics that I've known for awhile... but hopefully soon :)

Anyway, Tuesday I got fika with Jake... we had a nice time and then I had to venture to town to buy a bus card. It is much cheaper to travel if you buy one, buuut I've been avoiding it since I don't like to pay to go on the bus... and only like going places that are in walking distance (which doesn't include Caroline's place... which is where I was going). Anyway, I couldn't find the desk to buy the card, so I went into 'Tourist Info' A disclaimer: In Sweden ALL lines(Banks... Bakeries...Post Office) are regulated by what they call 'Que' Ya know, you take a ticket with a number and have to wait til your ticket is called. Okay, I know its not a difficult process, but its a big thing here. So anyway I knew I needed to take a ticket to be helped at this tourist place... So I hit the button and no ticket. So I hit the button again (of course, why wouldn't I lol) and then the machine started making a gurgling noise... hah. So (without a ticket) I asked the man at the desk my question. Then when I was about to leave... I pretended to not be sure... "Uh I think your Que machine is broke." LOL and THIS is why I am going on about this... he replies, "Is that what you call... Sabotage?" WHAT?! LOL I don't even know what I said back, but I know I was laughing.... those darn Swedes...

Okay... so Tuesday was a victorious day because I made it across the city by myself using public transportation... got on the right bus and made it to Caroline's!! We had a really nice time catching up (its been awhile due to exams, the mini break we had...) But I would like to document the events that happened during my attempt to get home. First, I RAN to the bus stop because I saw the bus coming in the distance... DID.NOT.MAKE.IT. Ugh. No big deal, it comes every 10 minutes. Sooo then at the stop I was alone with this punk ass 12 year old kid (looked like he should have had a skateboard or something) but I started to really take notice of him because he kept SPITTING. It was really weird, I kept hearing him spit... so I actually started to count how long it was between each spit LOL on average he spit every 20 seconds... pretty OCD if you ask me. Hah.. so now the bus has arrived and I want to grab a seat upfront so I can see the sign that says which stop we were at so I wouldn't miss mine (on the first trip I was in the back, and people were standing so I couldn't see...) So I grab a seat right up front, and even asked the lady if I could sit next to her. Swedes have space issues and if possible, DON'T like sitting next to strangers (I will write my train story after). So I sit, then after the next stop as people were getting on, her and the man I was also sitting by got up and moved seats! I couldn't believe it, were they leaving because of me? Well, two elderly people sat next to me instead and I didn't know if I should stay or not... I felt like I was in THEIR space... oh and guess what... I was. A few stops later I noticed a sign that implied the seats were for old and pregnant people... LOL ooh so that's why those people moved... and I did not. I felt like a jack ass. Anyway, those are my bus adventures... just call me Rosa Parks.

(Train story... When I first arrived in Sweden, at the Stockholm airport I got on the Arlanda express that took me from the airport to the next train station and sat next to a girl my age. Um, she GOT UP and relocated. This all happened BEFORE I realized you don't sit next to a Swede if you don't have to...)

Well there you have it... I might go to movie trivia tonight, work tomorrow and a party Saturday... hopefully more stories later. OH and enjoy these lovely pictures I took from my kitchen window.

No comments:

Post a Comment