Thursday, August 13, 2009

this is how they do it in the north!


So this blog shall be quick, mainly because I don't have much time on the computer while in Sundsvall (northern Sweden, yes... MATT I realize all of Sweden is 'north' but this is even more so!) Soo last night I ate moose. Thats my highlight haha its a lot like steak and it was really good. I've been meeting family and friends of family these past few days of our visit. One especially cute girl is Jonas' half sister Matilda. Shes 4 and a half and talks to me in Swedish non stop although she knows I cant understand her. Shes been saying very funny things about me coming, such as... 'when is the one that speaks english coming' or 'the only english i know is 'hello kitty' its very sweet. So tomorrow we leave to camp. I have to wear some silly green hiking pants... and rubber boots, but i guess thats how they do it here in the north. we are sleeping in a trailer that attaches to their car or the 'caravan' as they keep referring to it. to be honest im not too excited because i KNOW there wont be s'mores... whats camping without smores!!

So today was not what I expected. We drove like 2 hours to see this (this is the translated saying) 'world heritage' which is this special area of land in Sweden (but there are other places in the world like this as well). I thought we would be hiking or seeing something, but nope... we just drove on through lol. But it was kinda cool once I finally understood what it was. This area of land has been raising like 9 mm every year... like actually getting higher. During the iceage the land was packed down and compressed and now its slowly uncompressing? hah well thats how I understood it! After walking through town and lunch at the Swedebank Icearena (HOME OF THE MODO HOCKEY TEAM!!! lol) we stopped for fika (coffee break) at Jonas' dads, wifes parents summer home (mouthful!) So I felt very Swedish walking through their gardens picking and eating random berries lol Then the grandmother gave us fresh baked cinnamon rolls (kanelbulles!) and these yummy cookies, which everyone drank coffee besides me... I had lemonade. Everyone still gets confused when I tell them I dont like coffee... anyway it was a nice visit with very nice people.

Look at this, my blog is longer than I thought. Im going to go now, but not without sending a shout out to a few of my favorite readers :) Hi Andrea, Matt, Kelly and Stephanie and anyone else that has been following, I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment