Wednesday, August 5, 2009

What a trip

So, Im here, safe and sound. The trip was pretty stressful and rough at times but theres no need to dwell on the bad parts, since there were many good things too. But for those that dont know, I had to fly to Boston, to Iceland, to Sweden. And then take 3 trains to get to my apartment. YIKES So first funny thing that happened, I packed a jar of peanut butter because I was under the impression peanut butter was expensive and tasted different here... Jonas has since corrected me after I was teased for bringing it. ANYWAY I guess they need to add peanut butter to the list of items you cant bring in your carry on at the airport. They tried to take my peanut butter, but the woman felt so bad she just decided to 'test' it. She literally tested the air around my peanut butter to make sure I hadnt put anything in it? Seriously... LOL

I made friends on each plane, I was lucky to always sit by girls.. all from Canada strange enough. Anyway, after I finally arrived in Sweden I was waiting with one of the girls for my bags. I wish I had taken a picture... but my one nylon bag that I knew wasnt going to make it... didnt. The bag had a large rip in it and my clothes were close to spewing out (yes Kat, spewing LOL). Sooo I had 3 large backs and my backpack. I knew that getting around the trains by myself would be hard... but it actually was impossible. The first train was easy to load my stuff onto because I had a cart with my... but then cartless I was in trouble. I actually was a mess, and the Swedes could tell. Lucky enough on my way to my second train, as I was ready to breakdown (I only had 15 minutes to find my train and get there) a guy helped me with my bags and it was a good thing he did, because the platform was SOOO far away, up 2 flights of stairs and then down 2 flights, with all my bags. Anyway he was very helpful and actually found a guy going to my next station that helped me. It turned out once we started talking that he was going all the way to Jönköping (my new town) so me and the man from Turkey lol traveled the last 3 hours of my trip together, but he was my bag boy so it was worth it. Jonas was surprised to see me with only 2 bags and then I turned and pointed at my new friend and said he had my others lol. Henrik (not Jenna's Henrik) came to pick me up as well, and Jonas' mom was at my apartment waiting for us. It was a very nice welcome. Anyway it doesn't sound too bad, but it was a long journey. We headed back to Jonas' hometown of Båstad that night after a delicious dinner of McDonalds (yes lol) and jamming to Elton John... WELCOME TO SWEDEN.. right? Anyway I visited with Jonas' sisters, Louise and Anna and crashed.

Today we went to the beach, we are about to eat pannkaka (pancakes) and relax today. We have been invited to a dinner party tomorrow for Kräftskiva (crayfish dinner partys popular in August lol) and then Saturday is the GOLD PARTY (that everyone has heard about). Ill update soon, but know I miss you all already.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alyson. Glad that you made the trip there. Because you are young and pretty you were able to get lots of help! : ) Glad the lady let you take your peanut butter thru. When a girl friend and I visited 7 countries when I was 25 years old we took TP because we heard that the TP over seas was rough and IT WAS~!
    Take care and can't wait to hear about all your adventures.
    Love, Bev and Mike

    ReplyDelete