Thursday, September 17, 2009

"You're SO American!"

Well thank you, because I am proud of my country. BUT you meant it as an insult.

Ugh, sooo on a few occasions I have had people decide to point at me and say, "oh that's so American!" It is really offensive, because its like they view me as a walking stereo type or something. I would never point at someone (lets say from Holland if they were wearing wooden shoes... haha) "You're SO Dutch!" or to someone from China eating rice, "You're SO ASIAN!" (Well unless they told me they have no brothers or sisters... haha Kat, I might have some of the Chinese girls over to my apartment soon... long story. I'll write about it if it happens... and I'll totally find out, this has been my one and only mission since getting here) It just doesn't seem nice to me, so why do people think they can point at me and tell me I'm SO American? Today Jonas invited me out to lunch with some of his classmates. The one guy was asking me what I missed most from home (besides the obvious). And I was trying to explain I miss having my money go far (everything is SO expensive here) and that is when he decided to point to me, adding that all Americans care about is spending money and buying/consuming. He didn't say it nicely either. SO I asked him, well have you ever been to the States (because if they haven't, I tell them they shouldn't believe all stereotypes) and he said yes (only California, where all Europeans seem to go...) and then continues to explain, "where the fattest people in the world live! Everyone is America is fat! OH, I mean you're not fat!" SERIOUSLY PEOPLE!? I just can't believe someone would be so rude. Anyway... enough about that.

Let me just say, we are loved here (Americans) and... not loved. It is just really strange to learn how the rest of the world views your country. Because like my friend Jake told me once, the whole world is here in Jonkoping (which is true). Well I don't want to get in it much more than that.

Funny story, so for the past couple days Jonas has been complaining about an Indian guy in his group. When I went to meet up him and his classmates... IT WAS THE SAME GUY THAT YELLED AT ME LAST WEEK! We all had a good laugh about it. Then it kinda made me sad that so many people dislike this guy :( We went to a yummy yummy Asian buffet for lunch where we got to have cheap ice cream for dessert... Pear flavor... not so good!

BUT I WANNA GIVE A BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHOUT OUT TO MY AMAZING DZ ANDREA!! MWAH MWAH MWAH!!

No comments:

Post a Comment