Sunday, September 6, 2009

Hello Autumn in Sweden

Hi everyone! So fall is definitely here in Jonkoping... and some days are better than others. On Thursday, the day of my job interview it was pouring, and pouring.. and pouring. And then the next day was so windy I literally thought I might fall over! They don't tell you this on the website... but the general consensus is the weather is pretty awful here. Yay! So anyway, I mentioned my job interview... it was more of a meet and great because I guess I had the job before I even said much. I was really lucky, this woman in Jonas' group for a class project just hooked the job up for me. So anyway, last night was my first night. I am working in "the closet" as they call it. Now I have to describe the differences about Swedish pubs/clubs. 1. No one tips ever for anything. They might tip the bar a little bit, or the waitress a little bit if its a nicer place... but that's it. 2. Coat checks are a huge thing. Everyone checks their coats, purses, umbrellas, whatever. It costs 20 SEK (about... $2.50) and no tips. The only way I get a tip is if a drunk person walks away without their change... (which happened last night.. ya!!) Let me tell you... checkin coats got crazy!! Well 1. everyone is speaking Swedish... some of it loved that I was American and remembered and talked to me in English on their way out. Some were just drunk and super confused that I couldn't understand them haha. I think I did really good for my first night. I was much quicker at retrieving the jackets at the end of the night verses hanging them... but quick none the less. It felt good to be back in a restaurant, since that's what I know. But none of the girls introduced themselves to me... of course, typically Swedish girls. But hopefully that will change over the next few weeks. I'm only really working the weekends. At they are late hours, I didn't get off work til 3am last night!

So I am going to write about my nightmareish experience trying to shop in Sweden. I wanted to buy normal black work pants... nope. Can't do it. They ONLY sell skinny legged pants. I was disgusted and mad at the whole country. So after trying on a zillion skinny legged pants, I found one pair that didn't make me want to commit suicide. But then I looked ridiculous with the shoes I had to wear with them. It was pretty depressing all day. I had to peel the pants off me after work last night because they are so tight. And its a good thing I'm not working til next weekend because Jonas and I ate homemade scones for breakfast and I ate so many I doubt I could fit into those pants right now haha.

Other highlights from the week:

Wednesday: We went to an 'American Beer Pong Tournament' everyone had to dress up which was fun, Jonas and I went as the Detroit Pistons. They served pan pizza (which they had to special order from a place like 15 minutes away by bus, Sweden really only makes thin crust pizza with goofy toppings) and Doritos.

Thursday: Job interview. Stood in the pouring rain outside for about 45 minutes because the woman told me the wrong time for the interview. The doors were locked. FML

Friday: Me and this girl walked around the city for an hour looking for this store I passed earlier in the week. In the window of the shop they were selling limited edition Italian soda with painted pinup girls on the bottle. I fell in love with them. We finally found the store and I bought $15 worth of Italian soda just so I could have the bottles haha, crazy. They didn't have the purple-pinkish bottle, but I have the other 5. We also went to a crayfish party... we kinda went really late because I'm super sick of crayfish.

Saturday: Worked. Sweden won their soccer game verses Hungary... the bar went insane!

Sunday: Being lazy all day, a little homework, maybe pop in a DVD... I feel like I should be doing more HW. Well everyone enjoy their labor day weekend before school starts! We don't celebrate that here... oh well! MISS YOU GUYS!!

1 comment:

  1. ahhh ALYSON! i love this blog and all your other blogss. im addicted.
    im so glad you got a job as a coat check. thats what i did for about 3 years.. your gonna be amazing at it by next week. no worries. i have faith in u. your so cute and i miss u so much! im glad your having fun and loving europe.

    LOVE ALWAYS
    Enia

    ReplyDelete